Welcome to the Catalina Foothills Unified School District #16 in Tucson, Arizona, a system of schools recognized as an exceptional learning place for our community's school-age children. We are Tucson's leading educational choice for PreK-12. We educate many students living throughout the greater metro Tucson area.
Our district strategic plan, Envision21: Deep Learning, outlines our commitment to prepare our students well for a 21st century life that is increasingly complex and global. We are determined to create a learning environment in which each student achieves academic and personal excellence.
Teaching and learning are at the heart of our enterprise. We know that a dynamic curriculum that engages students in deep learning taught by highly competent professionals who are held accountable for learning results is key to our students' success here.
Please take the time to get to know us better through this Web site. There are links throughout the site that take you to video clips of our students, staff, and parents whose images and voices tell our educational story. Enjoy.
Mary Kamerzell, Ph.D., Superintendent
charting the course for quality education.
CFSD Fast Facts
Founded in 1931
• One early learning center (PreK)
• Four Elementary Schools (K-5)
• Two Middle Schools (6-8)
• One High School (9-12)
District-Wide Attendance Rate: 99%
Graduation Rate: 97.5%
College Attendance Rate: 94%
71 cents of every dollar are spent in direct services to our students.
CFSD offers many options for students in PreK through 12th grade. The district provides outstanding
K-12 comprehensive programs at all schools and an exciting variety of educational programming for families.
• Music, visual art, and physical education taught by specialists at grades K-12
• Spanish for grades K-5 (120 minutes a week of language development)
• World Languages learning for grades 6-12 (Spanish and Chinese)
• Spanish and Chinese immersion programs
• Elementary, middle and high school robotics
• Twenty Advanced Placement (AP) course offerings
• Four year Project Lead the Way Engineering program
• Technology-enhanced classrooms with access to laptops (2:1 ratio), iPads, iPods, digital cameras, student response systems, Gmail, and Google academic accounts
• Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) option
• High school summer Spanish immersion in Costa Rica
• Spanish immersion at Valley View Early Learning Center
• K-5 Confucius Institute classroom, University of Arizona & Hanban
• High School Confucius Institute classroom, Asia Society
• Gifted education program and services
• Extended math and reading programs for grades K-5
• Full day kindergarten option with fee-based program for half of the day
• Certified school counselors at all schools
• Over twelve interscholastic athletic programs
• Read Strong (reading support for grades K-3)
• Extended day classes and full summer programming at all levels K-12
• Dozens of extracurricular offerings for students of all ages
• Before and after school CARE program
• Community adult non-credit classes